Emergency Assistance Available for Colorado Producers

Colorado producers and farmers may be eligible for emergency assistance under the Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program and the Livestock Forage Disaster Program. This program is part of the 2008 Farm Bill.
Those who qualify must have suffered losses between Jan. 1, 2008 and Oct. 1, 2011. The applicants must have insurance coverage through the Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program or the Pasture, Rangeland and Forage Insurance.
The FSA offers producers the chance to “buy-in” eligibility for those losses that were filed before Sept. 16, 2008 and are required to pay a small fee.
“Since the passage of the Farm Bill in June of 2008, the Agency publicized program ‘buy-in’ and NAP coverage deadlines and offered deadline extensions in order to insure all producers had ample opportunity to meet program eligibility requirements,” said Colorado FSA director, Trudy Kareus.
Any farmers or producers who are socially disadvantaged, beginning farmers or ranchers or have limited resources do not have to pay the buy-in fee.
Another opportunity exists for livestock producers who loss livestock due to fire or drought. The losses only apply to rangeland. The only livestock that apply to this assistance is beef cattle, beefalo, alpacas, buffalo, dairy cattle, elk, deer, emus, equine, llamas, poultry, goats, reindeer, swine and sheep. Click here for more information.
For producers of honeybees, livestock and farm-raised fish, there is also emergency assistance. Those producers who have suffered losses from poor weather, disease or wildfires may apply for ELAP assistance. For more information on this program click here.
Federal Reserve stated interest rates likely to rise. Refinance your farm loan before rates go up. Call a representative by dialing 866-929-5585 or visit us online to learn more about Colorado farm loans.